Our 3-year old granddaughter loves watching the videos we've recorded of her. Recently while she was watching this video of her from last year's 4th of July, she turned to me and said "Who is America?"
Her question reminds me of the number one mistake I see so many make when it comes to social media marketing. Like my granddaughter, who is saying Happy Birthday to someone she doesn't know, many people are posting content on social media with no idea on who they are posting to, or worse yet, why they are even posting.
These are the same people who often come to my team and I and say, "Social Media doesn't work."
SOCIAL MEDIA DOES WORK....but typically, only when you have a goal, a strategy and understand your target market.
Today I'd love to share with you some actionable social media goals you can use to make an impact in your social marketing efforts.
1. Increase brand awareness. Brand awareness continues to be the top reason for businesses to use social media. With the average person spending over two hours every day on social media, social media is one of the best places to grab consumers' attention.
These metrics may help you with measuring your brand awareness:
- Reach of your post
- Mentions, shares, and retreats
- Number of followers
A key to brand awareness is to produce consistent and engaging content along with responding to your community.
These metrics may help with measuring your engagement:
- Likes, shares and comments per posts
- Mentions and replies
Action Step: Determine what metrics you are monitoring and review them on a monthly basis.
Impact Tip: Consistent communication is key to creating healthy relationships with potential and current customers.
2. Drive traffic to your website. New website visitors often equal new customers. To drive traffic to your site post links to relevant product pages, blog posts, and other website content. It's essential to have a website that is easy to navigate and up-to-date.
Action Tip: Google Analytics is a great tool to use when monitoring website traffic and the source of that traffic.
3. Generate new leads. You can generate sales and leads by producing engaging content and posts, and through paid advertising, this is where it's important to know who you are marketing to and to make sure your brand image is both interesting and relevant to your audience.
Metrics to measure:
- Counts of leads you have received through Social Media (such as email addresses).
- Amount of clicks you have received on lead generating posts or links.
- Google Analytics
Actions Step: To assist you with identifying who you are talking to, download our customer profile worksheet.
Impact Tip: Develop and implement a social media strategy and action plan for consistent, engaging, and relevant content.
Having a goal for your social media marketing is a key for social media to WORK for you and your business.
At Fresh Impact, we love to talk about social media goals, strategies and action steps. If you have any questions regarding setting social media goals or developing a strategy and action plan for your social media success, please contact us here or visit our Facebook page.